It’s very important for cancer patients to take care of their diet because appetite is the most affected-one during cancer treatment. Patients should take nutrients like proteins, vitamins, carbohydrates, mineral etc.in good proportion because nutritional food helps in making the body and mind healthy along with replacing the tissues and helping the body fight infection. It also gives better results of the treatment of the patient. Nutritional diet is important because when a person is suffering from cancer, the body uses food in a different way which is harmful for the body as well as treatment. Let’s see what a cancer patient need to take care:
- Fatty and oily food avoidance: Cancer patients should avoid fatty and oily food because it takes more time to digest such food. On the other hand, green leafy vegetables and fruits are easy and quick in digestion. Although where a patient is suffering from loss of weight, they are advised to take fatty food.
- Meat: There’s no harm in eating normal meat but cancer patients are advised to avoid red meat and opt for fish.
- Keep the mouth moist: It is very important for cancer patients to keep their mouth moist. They should avoid coffee and tea and instead take as much water, juices and soups as they can to keep the body hydrated.
- Protein intake: Body uses protein to build and repair tissues and when it comes to cancer patients more and more intake of protein in the form of milk, cheese and eggs become important.
- Anorexia and Cachexia: Anorexia i.e. appetite loss and Cachexia i.e. weight and muscle loss are common in cancer patients and nutritional diet can be very helpful in fighting with these issues.
- Other benefits of nutrition: Nutritional diet helps in lowering the risk of infection and adding strength and energy in the body. It also prevents bone and muscle loss and healing process is eased out making life of a cancer patient comfortable to a great extent.